Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
 

 History

 
The Greeks knew of Boushehr by Mezambria during the battles of Nearchus. A French excavating team however in 1913 determined the origin of Boushehr to date back to the Elamite Empire. A city there, known as Lyan, contained a temple that was designed to protect the compound from naval attacks. Its remains can still be seen today 10 kilometers south of the present city of Boushehr.
A key turning point in the history of Bor event of significance is known to have taken place in this region until the arrival of the European colonialists in the 16th century.
The Portuguese, invaded the city of Boushehr in 1506 and remained there until Shah Abbas Safavi successfully defeated and liberated the Persian Gulf region of their presence. By 1734, Boushehr had once again risen to prominence due to Nadir Shah of the Afsharid dynasty, and his military policies in The Persian Gulf.
Boushehr was selected by Nadir to be the central base of Nadir's naval fleet in the Persian Gulf. He thus changed the name of the city to Bandar e Nadiriyeh (Nadir's Port). He hired an Englishman by the name of John Elton to help build his fleet. Dutch accounts report his naval fleet to have amounted to 8000-10000 personnel as well as several ship construction installations.
After Nadir's death, the Dutch continued to have good commercial relations in Boushehr, until the British made their debut in Boushehr in 1763 by a contract they signed with Karim Khan of the Zand dynasty. By then, the city of Boushehr had become Iran's major port city in the Persian Gulf. By the Qajar era, Britain, Norway, Russia, Italy, France, Germany, and the Ottomans had diplomatic and commercial offices there, with Britain steadily gaining a foothold in the area. Close to 100 British ships are reported to have docked at the port city every year during the Qajar era.
Despite its unique potentials, Boushehr remains to be developed for absorbing tourists and seriously lacks the necessary investment for tourism. The city of Boushehr has 3-star hotels, an airport, and modern amenities. The Cultural heritage Organization of Iran lists up to 45 sites of historical and cultural significance in the province. Some are listed below:
  • Persian Gulf Beach(Boushehr)
  • Deje Borazjan
  • Qal'eh Holandiha (The Dutch Castle)
  • Gurestan Bastani (the ancient cemetery)
  • Aramgah (tomb of) Haj Mohammed Ibrahim Esfahani
  • Qavam water reservoir
  • Maqbareh (tomb of) the English General
  • The Holy Christ Church
  • House of Malik
  • The ancient site of Ray-Shahr which is located 8 km south of Boushehr
  • Tomb of Abdul mohaymrn
  • Castle of Khormuj
  • kakhe tauke (borazjan)
  • Shahzade Ebrahim (Shazabreim)
  • Mabad Poseidon, (Poseidon's temple)
  • Imamzadeh Mir Mohammed Hanifeh
  • The Old Church of Kharg Island
  • Qazi House
  • Shaykh Sadoon Mosque
  • House of Raies Ali Delvari
  • House of Dehdashti
  • House Darya Baygui

Copyright © 2014 .All Rights Reserved.
Powered By : "Samix"